Major Events and Top News Headlines of 14 August 2010:
- A new study has found that use of estrogen alone did not increase lung cancer mortality in postmenopausal women.
- Chelsea signed Brazilian international midfielder Ramires on Friday but their pursuit of his compatriot Neymar is not going quite as smoothly.
- As crores continue to splash around in the Commonwealth Games – this way or that – it has now come to light that several players of the national shooting squad that participated in the recently-concluded World Shooting Championship paid for the Munich trip from their own pockets.
- Disease outbreaks pose grave risks to victims of Pakistan’s worst floods in decades, aid agencies said on Friday, causing fresh concern about already complicated relief efforts.
- Security has been beefed up across Assam in the run up to Independence Day on Sunday with five militant groups including the banned United Libration Front of Asom (ULA) calling for a boycott of the celebrations.