Major Events and Top News Headlines of 14 December 2014:
- The Union human resource development ministry wants to celebrate the birthdays of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and Hindu Mahasabha leader Madan Mohan Malviya by observing `good governance day’ on December 25.
- Nobel Laureate Kailash Satyarthi made a strong pitch for a complete ban on every kind of labour activity for children up to 14 years of age on his return to India after receiving the peace prize.
- BJP candidates from Srinagar’s Amira Bhat, allegedly slapped a poll official on Sunday for denied the allegation.
- A final-year computer science graduate from Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Indore bagged a job with Google at an annual package of Rs 1.7 crore per annum.
- A toll free call centre will soon swing into operation to help defence pensioners in getting revised pensions.
- A number of healthcare portals have come online, offering not only doctor consultations and appointments but a range of other services including diagnostics, second opinions, patient referrals as well as management of health records.
- India’s first indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant is now finally all set to make its maiden foray into the wide open sea.
- The first ever landing of a man-made probe onto a comet by the ESA’s Philae spacecraft has been named the Physics World Breakthrough of the Year for 2014.
- Google is all set to enter the International Space Station (ISS) for a flatworm study next week.
- An Indian-American physician Vivek Murthy will be as the next surgeon general before ceding control of the Senate in the next few days.
- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s coalition cruised to a big election win on Sunday.
- Haiti’s Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe announced his resignation on Sunday.
South Africa’s Rolene Strauss was crowned Miss World 2014 in London on Sunday.
- According to US Energy Information Administration, Saudi Arabia has the world’s largest proved oil reserves of 267 billion barrels and India is the world’s seventh largest petroleum consumer and its daily consumption ranging be tween 2-4 million barrels.
- The two players who have been suspended are No. 22 Amjad Ali and No. 11 Muhammad Tousiq on saturday for one match.
- Germany made good use of the new format of the Champions Trophy to win their 10th title at the Kalinga Stadium here on Sunday.
- British boxer Amir Khan defeated Devon Alexander by a unanimous decision in a welterweight fight Saturday.