Major Events and Top News Headlines of 14 July 2009:
- The hooch tragedy is fast snowballing into a political crisis for Narendra Modi.
- The Gujarat chief minister has drawn flak not only from opposition Congress but from his own party as well, for his “mishandling” of the incident which has claimed nearly 120 lives.
- Preparing the ground for the meeting between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Yousuf Raza Gilani in Egypt, Islamabad has handed over a fresh dossier on its probe into the Mumbai terror attacks to New Delhi which is figuring out what it amounts to.
- Mahmudullah completed a memorable debut Test, when he cruelly exposed West Indies’ frailty to spin, and bowled Bangladesh to a historic 95-run victory in the opening Test in Kingstown on Monday.
- TV serial Balika Vadhu took centrestage in national politics on Tuesday with Janata Dal (United) chief Sharad Yadav raising serious objections to the show”s content and demanding that it be taken off air.
- Beverages major Pepsico’s India-origin Chief Executive Officer Indra Nooyi has been named as 2009 CEO of the Year by Global Supply Chain Leaders Group (GSCLG) for promoting socially responsible business practices.