Major Events and Top News Headlines of 14 September 2009:
- Weak global cues on Monday cut short the six-day winning streak of benchmark Sensex, which lost by over 50 points on profit-booking by investors at high levels.
- As a result of climate change, much of the Indo-Gangetic plain and parts of northwest India could see increasing temperatures and worsening heat-waves from the middle to the end of this century, say researchers in the U.S.
- We all called him the ‘father of professional tennis’.” This is how Ramanathan Krishnan began, slipping into a mood of nostalgia of those halcyon days when Jack Kramer was the ‘King’.
- It is a matter of deep regret that many police officers have been reduced to a football, to be kicked here and there, from one post to another, without regard to the damage done to the job as well as the officer.”
- In a tape released on Sunday by al-Qaeda’s media wing, terrorist leader Osama bin Laden said President Barack Obama is “powerless” to stop the war in Afghanistan.