Major Events and Top News Headlines of 15 August 2009:
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) will launch an Automotive Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) test facility at the Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar on Sunday.
- Congress president Sonia Gandhi is set to revamp the All-India Congress Committee (AICC) next week, inducting some new general secretaries while relieving some ministers of their organisational responsibility.
- Roger Federer beat Stanislas Wawrinka 6-3 7-6 at the Montreal Masters on Thursday, ensuring the world’s top eight players will compete in the quarter-finals of an ATP event for the first time.
- Suno Hind ke rehne walon suno suno… As strains of this commanding song filled the air at Epicentre, Gurgaon, on Friday, the familiar words sounded unusually powerful. Composed by the Indian People’s Theatre Association (IPTA) after the Bengal famine in 1942, it still evoked strong feelings.
- With the assembly elections scheduled in October, the state government has decided to create a four-tier network of Self-Help Groups (SHGs) in rural areas and provide them marketing facilities and finance to raise their income.