Major Events and Top News Headlines of 15 February 2010:
- A day after Kuwait’s Zain Telecom approved the bid by Bharti Airtel, the Indian telecom operator on Monday said it has entered into exclusive talks with Zain for acquiring its African operations based on an enterprise value of $ 10.7 billion.
- Wholesale price-based inflation rose to 8.56 per cent in January, shooting past the RBI’s forecast of 8.5 per cent for this fiscal end, as food items such as sugar, potatoes and pulses turned costlier.
- Sri Lankan government today said it will send a delegation to meet the country’s powerful Buddhist monks to clarify the reasons behind the detention of former army chief Sarath Fonseka, after they asked President Mahinda Rajapaksa, to release the “gallant officer“.
- The West Bengal Governor and former National Security Adviser, M.K. Narayanan, said on Sunday that the country must be on constant vigil against terror.
- American former Olympians Peggy Fleming and Vonetta Flowers suffered minor injuries in a car crash Sunday while riding in U.S. Vice President Joe Biden’s motorcade at the Vancouver Games.