Major Events and Top News Headlines of 16 August 2009:
- The US Embassy says an American man imprisoned for sneaking into the home of Myanmar’s democracy leader has been flown out of the country.
- President Barack Obama’s special envoy to Pakistan praised the country’s “very significant” progress in taking back key areas from Taliban militants and said the US would provide more weapons for the fight as well as badly needed economic aid.
- Taiwan leaders, already under fire over the response to a typhoon that likely killed hundreds, have accepted foreign aid after earlier refusing the offers, officials said on Saturday, as the President apologised.
- After two-and-a-half years, Odeon has thrown open its gates once again. Big Cinemas, a division of the Reliance-owned Adlabs Group, had taken the property on lease from the original owners — the Sahni family.
- The Director General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) is constituting an Air Traffic Experts Committee to look into the various economic, social and political factors that affect air traffic.