Major Events and Top News Headlines of 16 August 2010:
- The Company Law Board has thrown a spanner in the plans of IL&FS-promoted Maytas Infra Ltd to allot 20 per cent preferential rights shares to Saudi BinLadin group.
- Textiles and apparels maker Raymond Ltd said on Monday HDFC Trustee Co Ltd acquired 2.44 per cent in the company on Aug. 13 via an open market purchase
- A top US General has said Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden, is probably hiding in the remote mountainous regions of Pakistan, even though no one knows where he actually is.
- A top leader of the Communist Party of China has called for undertaking reforms in Tibetan Buddhist monasteries by appointing monks and nuns who are “politically reliable”, hinting at an apparent purge in the clergy.
- The Centre has declared the Leh disaster a “calamity of severe nature”, paving the way for MPs to contribute Rs 50 lakh from MPLAD fund for relief to the affected people.