Major Events and Top News Headlines of 16 February 2010:
- European Union (EU) Member States have decided to temporarily withdraw with effect from August preferential tariff benefits known as GSP+ granted to Sri Lanka under a special incentive arrangement for sustainable development and good governance on the ground that there were `significant shortcomings’ in implementation of three UN human rights conventions by the island nation.
- Iran has hit back against U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton’s warning that the Islamic republic is becoming a military dictatorship.
- Government has extended by one year the visa for controversial Bangladeshi writer Taslima Nasreen who has also moved for permanent residency in India.
- For every one degree rise in temperature, 6 million tonnes of wheat will be lost in India, the Food and Agricultural Organisation of the UN estimates.
- Anand G. Mahindra, Vice-Chairman and Managing Director of Mahindra Group, has been named Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the year 2009. The Lifetime Achievement Award has gone to N. Vaghul for his unparalleled contribution to the Indian financial sector.