Major Events and Top News Headlines of 16 January 2010:
- Afghanistan, Iran and Pakistan affirm that the three countries bear a shared and common responsibility for security and stability in the region, and reaffirm the commitment to playing their due role in the reconstruction of Afghanistan, a joint declaration said on Saturday.
- The NATO military announced on Saturday the deaths of two soldiers in an explosion in southern Afghanistan.
- A controversial $8.6 billion plan to link Hong Kong to China’s national high-speed rail network won approval from local lawmakers on Saturday, leading to scuffles between police and protesters opposed to the project.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here on Saturday that the government was looking into the aspect of giving functional autonomy to national institutions, while ensuring proper accountability.
- National Security Adviser M. K. Narayanan was on Saturday night appointed Governor of West Bengal and former Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil will head the Raj Bhawan in Punjab as President Pratibha Patil cleared a list of five new Governors in different States.