Major Events and Top News Headlines of 16 October 2009:
- While some scientists have argued that cancer is such a complex genetic disease that you’d have to sequence a person’s complete genome in order to predict his or her cancer risk.
- Having resigned from captaincy, Younus Khan skipped a review session on Pakistan’s Champions Trophy performance which was held under the supervision of PCB chairman Ejaz Butt at the Gaddafi stadium here.
- The government has decided to appoint the Director and Board members of the Indian Institutes of Management (IIM) through an independent collegium.
- Union Minister for Overseas Affairs Vayalar Ravi has urged the Election Commission to conduct verification of nearly 10,000 voters transferred to the Kannur Assembly.
- Parents in some of Africa’s poorest countries are cutting back on school, clothes and basic medical care just to give their children a meal once a day, experts say. Still, it is not enough.