Major Events and Top News Headlines of 16 September 2010:
- Steering committees headed by District Collectors and comprising senior police officials and representatives of all political parties will be formed for monitoring the violation of the model code of conduct that has come into force with the declaration of the local body elections.
- U.S. special envoy Richard Holbrooke and Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd on Thursday announced more assistance for millions of people affected by recent floods in Pakistan.
- AIADMK general secretary Jayalalithaa has filed a petition in the Madras High Court seeking a direction to discharge her from a case related to filing wealth tax returns.
- In protest against the violent attack on a private school in Pochampalli in Krishnagiri district on Monday after a Plus-One student S. Suresh was run over by a school bus, over 11,000 matriculation schools in the State will remain shut on Friday, said K.R. Nandha Kumaar, State General Secretary, Tamil Nadu Nursery, Primary, Matriculation & Higher Secondary Schools’ Association, here on Wednesday.
- Protesting the recent school burning incident in Pochampally in Krishnagiri District, over 10,000 private schools under the umbrella Federation of Associations of Private Schools will remained closed in the State tomorrow.