Major Events and Top News Headlines of 17 February 2010:
- The Government today said the “dastardly attack” on Eastern Frontier Rifle jawans in West Bengal has strengthened its resolve to fight the Maoist menace.
- The government is likely to consider infusion of Rs 800 crore as equity in the cash-strapped Air India tomorrow, but wants the airline to take “extraordinary” measures to achieve a financial turnaround.
- The Mullaperiyar dam case took a new twist on Wednesday with the Supreme Court constituting a high-level empowered committee to go into all issues, including the safety aspects of the dam, raising the water level beyond 136 ft as also Kerala’s demand for a new dam.
- The Council of Boards of School Education (COBSE) on Tuesday took a “unanimous” decision to adopt a core curriculum for physics, chemistry, biology and mathematics at the senior secondary level.
- Pakistani intelligence officials say a U.S. missile strike has killed at least three people near the Afghan border.