Major Events and Top News Headlines of 17 January 2010:
- The asset under management (AUM) of the domestic mutual fund industry is likely to double at Rs. 17.6 lakh crore by 2015 on account of favourable economic climate, a study by Evalueserve and Assocham said.
- Consumer durables major Panasonic on Sunday said it is aiming for a billion-dollar revenue from its India operations by 2012 and is looking to foray into the automobile sector.
- Jyoti Basu was a great leader of the CPI(M), the Left movement and India. With his passing away, an era has passed.
- Paying tribute to former West Bengal Chief Minister Jyoti Basu, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Sunday described him as the “first and last chapter of the Left Front government“.
- A terminal at John F. Kennedy International Airport was evacuated on Saturday after a security breach, officials said.