Major Events and Top News Headlines of 17 July 2010:
- Mayawati-led BSP has emerged as the third largest party in the Rajya Sabha, relegating the CPI(M) to fourth position in yet another bad news for Marxists ahead of the Assembly polls in West Bengal and Kerala.
- Students bored with the regular Science, Arts and Commerce subjects finally have a wider choice of courses to choose from.
- Rajat Barmecha is an angry young man. “I am not 17, I am 21 please,” says the actor who made his debut in Udaan playing an angst ridden teenager and he is miffed with the “kid” label.
- President Barack Obama and the first family played tennis and took in the sights around a Maine resort even as he contemplated a new struggle over jobless benefits with his Republican foes.
- Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi has said he will not go to India for talks only for “a leisure trip” and backtracked on his earlier claim that his counterpart S M Krishna received repeated calls from New Delhi taking instructions during their July 15 parleys.