Major Events and Top News Headlines of 17 September 2009:
- The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has asked the Indian government whether it supports the stand taken by the Cricket Board on WADA’s contentious “whereabout” clause.
- Foreseeing an upsurge in pirate attacks in the coming months as the monsoons give way to weather congenial to seafaring activities.
- The United States on Friday said Pakistan should ensure swift and lengthy punishment to those behind 26/11 even as reports came in of Islamabad registering two cases against Jamat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed.
- The Supreme Court on Friday expressed dissatisfaction over UP Government’s plea on the alleged violation of an undertaking for stoppage of work at Kanshi Ram Memorial Sthal in Lucknow and said the stay on all such activities will continue.
- U.S. President Barack Obama on Thursday shelved a Bush-era plan for an Eastern European missile defence plan that has been a major irritant in U.S. relations with Russia.