Major Events and Top News Headlines of 18 August 2010:
- Oil dipped in Asian trade on Wednesday as investors locked in profits from a price rally overnight and on continued concerns over the global economic rebound.
- M S University Syndicate members have objected to the university’s proposal to hand over 25,000 sq- ft land to the state-run Gujarat Urja Vikas Nigam Limited on rent, to construct a sub-station.
- Two pilots and an Army officer were killed when a Cheetah helicopter crashed in a jungle of Dzukou Valley in Nagaland on Wednesday.
- Australian mining giant BHP Billiton today made a hostile takeover offer of USD 40 billion for the world’s largest fertiliser producer Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc, a day after the Canadian major rejected the bid.
- The Indian cricket board today stuck to it stand of steering clear of the no-ball controversy but asked the Sri Lankan Board to take action against its players if they are found guilty of violating ICC rules during a tri-series match against India at Dambulla on Monday.