Major Events and Top News Headlines of 18 December 2010:
- = Amid controversy generated by the release of secret cables by WikiLeaks, including those from U.S. embassy in New Delhi, the Obama Administration has said that American diplomats in India are doing their job just like their counterparts here.
- = The U.S. wants India and Pakistan to reduce tensions between them, the White House has said, insisting that the Obama Administration would continue to encourage the two countries to improve their ties.
- =A Pakistan High Commission official in Delhi had praised India for acting “responsibly and maturely” in the aftermath of the Mumbai terror attacks, according to U.S. official cables released by Wikileaks.
- = The drug regulator of the U.K. has asked Indian pharmaceutical firm Ranbaxy to recall three batches of its anti-cholesterol tablets, Pravastatin, on failure to update safety warnings in its information leaflets.
- = NATO troops killed more than 20 insurgents in fighting in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday after a patrol came under fire, the coalition said, while in the north, Germany’s chancellor made a surprise visit to her nation’s troops.