Major Events and Top News Headlines of 18 January 2010:
- An official says two Chinese engineers and four Afghans have been kidnapped by gunmen in northwestern Afghanistan.
- In yet another ceasefire violation along the Line of Control, Pakistani troops on Monday evening fired small arms and rockets on Forward Defence Locations in Poonch sector of Jammu and Kashmir, a senior army official said.
- Despite reservations expressed by some Congress leaders, the all-party Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) on Monday appealed to public representatives from the region to stick to their decision to quit their posts by January 28.
- India will push for greater market access for Indian pharmaceutical and Information Technology companies in China when trade talks resume this week in Beijing, against the backdrop of a fast-widening trade gap between the two countries.
- Nearly 90 per cent of world’s 7,000 oral languages will disappear within the next 100 years, according to a UN report.