Major Events and Top News Headlines of 18 July 2009:
- The United States on Saturday said the joint statement issued by India and Pakistan, following the meeting between the Prime Ministers of the two nations on sidelines of NAM Summit at Sharm-el-Sheikh, is “an important step towards the stability in the region”.
- BSP on Saturday lashed out at Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi for blaming the Uttar Pradesh government for power and water shortage in the state.
- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has marked the 91st birth anniversary of South African statesman Nelson Mandela and called him “a living embodiment of the highest values of the United Nations.”
- Ahead of her talks with the Indian leadership, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has said the disputes between India and Pakistan should be looked at with “fresh eyes” and that Kashmir should “certainly” be on the agenda of discussions between the two countries.
- Singapore’s health ministry has confirmed the country’s first swine flu-related death, a 49-year-old pneumonia patient who suffered a heart attack.