Major Events and Top News Headlines of 18 July 2010:
- The Bombay High Court on Monday ordered that Sadhvi Pragya Thakur and other 10 accused in the 2008 Malegaon bomb blasts case will face trial under Maharashtra’s tough MCOCA, a year after charges on them under this anti -terror law were dropped.
- Senior RSS leader M G Vaidya on Sunday questioned BJP’s decision of re-admitting Jaswant Singh into the party fold and not leaders like Uma Bharti, Govindacharya and Sanjay Joshi.
- At least 132 persons had so far been convicted in different cases related to 2008 communal violence in Orissa’s Kandhamal district, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik said today.
- The central excise department, Chandigarh region, will soon issue notices to four cricket players, including Yuvraj Singh, for payment of Rs 1.17 crore as service tax on the income from the first and the second IPL seasons.
- A British author promoting his book on alleged double standards in Singapore’s use of the death penalty has been arrested here on charges of criminal defamation and contempt of court.