Major Events and Top News Headlines of 18 September 2009:
- The Indian cricket team today dropped to the third spot in the ICC one-day rankings after Australia regained the top position owing to their 6-0 lead in the ongoing seven-match series against England.
- Foreseeing an upsurge in pirate attacks in the coming months as the monsoons give way to weather congenial to seafaring activities, the forces of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation.
- The Hurriyat Conference on Friday said it will support talks between India and Pakistan if aimed at resolution of Kashmir issue in accordance to the wishes of the people of the state.
- The United States on Friday said Pakistan should ensure swift and lengthy punishment to those behind 26/11 even as reports came in of Islamabad registering two cases against Jamat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed.
- The Union Cabinet on Thursday approved amendments to the Transplantation of Human Organs Act, 1994, to prevent illegal organ trade and provide for stringent punishment to those indulging in such practices.