Major Events and Top News Headlines of 19 February 2010:
- Indian scientists will try to distinguish individual whale sharks off the Gujarat coast, using a technique employed by NASA to identify galaxies.
- Sri Lanka on Friday said it does not give any credence to the ‘palpable misinformation’ concerning alleged moves involving the United States, aimed at undermining the leadership of President Rajapaksa, and destabilising his government.
- HDFC Bank on Friday increased the fixed deposit rates by up to 150 basis points across maturities, a move that follows the Cash Reserve Ratio hike of 75 basis points by the Reserve Bank of India last month.
- An Indian-origin man was shot dead in South Africa by unidentified assailants, driving his distressed wife to commit suicide by using her husband’s gun.
- The Pakistani Air Force on Thursday inducted the first squadron of JF-17 Thunder multi-role combat aircraft it jointly developed with China as part of its efforts to maintain a “balance” of conventional forces in the region.