Major Events and Top News Headlines of 19 September 2009:
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited will launch its third generation mobile telephone services (3G) in Chennai by mid-October.
- Addressing concerns over the proposed features in the Direct Taxes Code, the Finance Minister, Pranab Mukherjee, on Saturday said changes in MAT is necessary considering big revenue loss due to lowering of both personal and corporate income tax rates in the Code.
- The Nanavati Commission probing the 2002 riots in Gujarat on Saturday asked the staff of Chief Minister Narendra Modi to provide details of their phone conversations with ministers during the riots that killed over 1,000 people, most of them Muslims.
- President Asif Ali Zardari has declared Pakistan’s determination to not allow anyone to use its territory against a third nation against the backdrop of mounting international pressure on his country to dismantle terror infrastructure blamed for attacks on India.
- Police rescued 60 illegal immigrants whose overcrowded boat sank near Malaysia as they tried to return to Indonesia for a holiday marking the end of the Muslim holy month, an official said on Saturday.