Major Events and Top News Headlines of 20 August 2009:
- Indra Nooyi, CEO of PepsiCo, Congress party president Sonia Gandhi, Chanda Kochhar, CEO of ICICI Bank India and Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw Chairman, Biocon India are the only Indians in Forbes annual list of the 100 most powerful women.
- Brushing aside criticism that it acted in haste, the BJP today said Jaswant Singh had committed grave indiscipline and went against the party’s core ideology in his views in Mohammad Ali Jinnah and Sardar Patel meriting summary expulsion, a charge strongly denied by the former Union minister.
- More overseas tax havens could turn into traps for tax cheats as the US-Swiss settlement over UBS AG invigorates an international campaign to flush out hideaways for illicit or undisclosed money.
- After actor and film maker Aamir Khan refused the offer to be brand ambassador for its anti-child labour campaign, Maharashtra Government has approached superstar Shah Rukh Khan, a senior minister said.
- Eighteen of Gujarat’s 26 districts have more fluoride concentration in their groundwater reserves than the permissible limit, leaving those who use groundwater prone to tooth decay and weak bones, says the latest State of Environment Report 2009.