Major Events and Top News Headlines of 20 August 2010:
- Britain’s government says it has warned Libya that any celebration of Friday’s anniversary of the release from jail of the Lockerbie bomber would be deeply offensive to the families of the mainly U.S. victims of the attack.
- Britain’s leading Indian and South Asian rights groups have written a joint letter to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging him to intervene to stop “atrocities” against Kashmiri civilians by security forces.
- President Pratibha Patil has underlined the need for promoting the study of mathematics among the younger generation as it inculcates the habit of rational thought in it and promotes, what the first Prime Minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, called “scientific temper.”
- Girl child belonging to Below Poverty Line families in Karnataka would be offered free education and medical treatment till the age of 18 under a government scheme, Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa announced on Friday.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank on Friday visited the site of tragedy in Bageshwar district where 18 children were buried alive on Tuesday as the roof of their school collapsed due to a landslide triggered by heavy rains.