Major Events and Top News Headlines of 20 September 2009:
- Women who take hormone-replacement therapy (HRT) using oestrogen and progestin are at an increased risk of dying from lung cancer. However, HRT does not increase the incidence of lung cancer.
- Pakistan has asked India for additional information in the Mumbai attacks case relating to the forensics of the evidence available with Indian investigators.
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and leaders of emerging countries like Brazil, China and South Africa are expected to make a big push for more space and a stronger voice in global financial institutions at the G-20 Summit starting in Pittsburgh on September 24.
- Clashes erupted on Sunday in the southern Philippines when al-Qaida-linked militants resisted attempts by government forces to serve arrest warrants on three of their commanders.
- Israel and the Palestinian Authority(PA) on Sunday accepted an invitation for a trilateral meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama later this week to lay the groundwork for renewed negotiations on Mideast peace.