Major Events and Top News Headlines of 21 August 2010:
- A bill to provide voting rights to Indians living abroad was introduced in the Rajya Sabha on Saturday, with the government saying it would enable non-resident Indians (NRIs) to participate in their home country’s democratic process, which was their “legitimate” wish.
- Sri Lanka and India on Friday exchanged notes to establish Indian Consulate-General offices in Jaffna and Hambantota.
- The much-awaited 726.6 MW gas – based thermal power project at Palatana in Tripura’s South District would be operational by March 2012, ONGC Chairman R S Sharma said on Saturday.
- The State Human Rights Commission has ordered the Chennai Police Commissioner to depute an officer not below the rank of a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) to enquire into a matter relating to city cinema theatres not permitting audience to bring their own drinking water and eatables inside.
- AP According to the Morgan Stanley analyst, BlackBerry’s share of the global smart phone market could come down to 13.1 per cent in 2012, down from a previous estimate of 16 pe