Major Events and Top News Headlines of 21 June 2009:
- It took three days for the men in uniform to reclaim Lalgarh. But even after Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawans entered the police station (PS) here, there was no jubilation.
- Pakistan and Sri Lanka, two teams linked by tragedy, will contest the World Twenty20 final at Lord’s on Sunday. Six policemen and two civilians were killed, and seven Sri Lankan squad members injured, when militants
- launched a gun and grenade assault on their team bus as they travelled to a Test match in Lahore on March 3.
- The much-anticipated full-fledged operation of the special anti-Naxal force – Cobra – in Left-wing extremism-hit states is set to start soon.
- Ace shuttler Saina Nehwal on Sunday scripted history by becoming the first Indian to win a Super Series tournament after she clinched the Indonesian Open title with a stunning victory over higher-ranked Chinese Lin Wang in Jakarta.
- Left parties on Sunday sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s intervention to ensure that anti-Maoist operations in Lalgarh were not “adversely complicated” by statements and actions of some union ministers belonging to Trinamool Congress.