Major Events and Top News Headlines of 22 August 2009:
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is not intervening or mediating in the Ambani brothers’ gas dispute, though he believes that the two top industrialists should patch up in national interest, an official in Prime Minister’s Office said.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Rajasekhara Reddy has directed the district Collectors to submit a preliminary report in 24 hours on suicides by farmers.
- A defence lawyer representing Mumbai-based TV actress Urvashi Dhanorkar has denied that her client is guilty of child abuse.
- India and Nepal reached a new trade treaty and an agreement to control unauthorised trade, particularly from a third country, aimed at widening the bilateral economic engagement.
- Barack Obama will make his first official visit to China as US president in mid-November, Jon Huntsman, the new US ambassador to China, said on Saturday.