Major Events and Top News Headlines of 22 August 2010:
- The United Kingdom-based Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) is exploring options for collaboration with Indian institutions for research in applied and pure sciences.
- Innovation will be the buzzword at Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) University’s graVITas ‘10 to be held from September 17 to 19.
- The Madras High Court has held that the allotment of a room to an unrecognised trade union on the premises of a cooperative bank here is an unfair labour practice, prohibited under the Industrial Disputes Act.
- Highlighting the plight of ex-servicemen, especially wives of deceased personnel, several hundreds former soldiers and officers on Sunday collected medals and submitted a memorandum to the President seeking ‘One Rank, One Pension (OROP)’.
- ANHAD, a voluntary organisation working against communal forces, has expressed shock over the use of a photograph of its month-old demonstration against “excessive” use of force by the security forces in Kashmir, in advertisements issued by the BJP, which observed ‘Save Kashmir Day’ on Saturday.