Major Events and Top News Headlines of 22 February 2010:
- ‘Timidity’ in approach is causing Indian business organisations to lose global opportunities, while resistance to change is stopping entities from growing back at home, Home Minister P. Chidambaram said today.
- The Supreme Court on Monday slammed the Chattisgarh government for raising the “bogey” of Naxalism to discredit those raising issues of human rights violations even as the Centre said it has evolved a Rs 7,300 crore package to develop Naxal-affected regions of the country.
- Issues of security and combating extremism in the region are likely to dominate parleys between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and leaders of Saudi Arabia, who are also expected to sign an extradition treaty during the former’s three-day visit to this country later this week.
- For the first time ever, the Indian Air Force will showcase its prowess and capability of precision strikes during day, dusk and night at the fire power demonstration (FPD) at the Pokhran ranges in Rajasthan on February 28.
- Hundreds of royal supporters paralysed the capital today in protest against the abolition of the monarchy and demanded a referendum on restoring the centuries—old institution and Nepal’s status as a Hindu state.