Major Events and Top News Headlines of 22 September 2009:
- In a bid to make India a business destination with the help of next year’s Commonwealth Games, the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) on Tuesday joined hands with the Organising Committee of the multi-discipline event.
- The government will launch an offensive against the Naxals in various states later this year using IAF helicopters for movement of troops and satellite images to carry out surgical strikes.
- The Supreme Court has upheld the Medical Council of India’s regulation requiring Indians who obtain an MBBS degree from colleges in Nepal to pass a screening test for grant of a certificate of registration to practise as doctors.
- The British prime minister, Gordon Brown, will this week announce an extra $1bn to pay for more vaccines and immunisation for children in the developing world and boost healthcare systems.
- The Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (BMS) would hold a demonstration in front of the Parliament in November opposing disinvestment in profit-making PSUs.