Major Events and Top News Headlines of 23 August 2010:
- Chandra Shekhar Verma at 51 may be among the youngest helmsman of as big a PSU as Steel Authority India Ltd (SAIL), which was recently accorded the Maharatna status.
- The official broadcaster for the upcoming Commonwealth Games, Doordarshan, is understood to have cut its advertising revenue target by half to Rs 100 crore from the 12-day long event due to poor response from advertisers.
- Two Spanish aid workers kidnapped almost nine months ago by an al—Qaeda affiliate have been set free and were en route on Monday to the capital of neighbouring Burkina Faso, a Spanish official and a diplomatic source said.
- The West Bengal government has allocated Rs. 400 crore for 2010-11 for construction of new dwelling units and renovation of the existing ones for all homeless slum-dwellers and those who were not beneficiaries of the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission.
- India will raise the issue of the proposed increase of visa fees with U.S. President Barack Obama during his visit in November, Minister of State for External Affairs Preneet Kaur said today.