Major Events and Top News Headlines of 23 December 2010:
- In its bid to strengthen leadership position in the Indian luxury car market, BMW India launched a new sports utility vehicle, ‘X1’ with a price tag of up to Rs 29.9 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
- Members of an alleged terrorist cell planning Mumbai type suicide attacks on Christmas shoppers in London received their training in Pakistan, according to sources.
- With the chances of loans extended to microfinance institutions (MFIs) turning non-performing assets (NPAs) now being greater, bankers have asked the Reserve Bank of India to consider some “regulatory concessions” to enable them to reschedule the exposure to MFIs.
- Christmas hasn’t come yet but Hallmark is already hard at work on next year’s line.
- China’s biggest electricity company, State Grid, says it is paying $989 million for seven Brazilian power companies and their transmission lines as it seeks to expand overseas.