Major Events and Top News Headlines of 23 February 2010:
- Sushma Swaraj on Tuesday formally took over as Leader of the Opposition in the Lok Sabha. The seat was hitherto held by senior BJP leader L. K. Advani.
- The Australian Cricketers’ Association today briefed its Indian Premier League-bound players about the security threat to the event and demanded specific assurance on their safety from the organisers.
- The West Bengal government announced on Monday the setting up of a three-member committee to inquire into the Maoist attack on the camp at Silda in Paschim Medinipur district on February 15, in which 24 Eastern Frontier Rifles (EFR) personnel were killed.
- Ivory Coast’s prime minister said he will announce the composition of the country’s new government within 24 hours, a move that could bring an end to a week of violent protests sparked by the president’s dissolution of the former government.
- The commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan took his apology for a weekend airstrike that killed civilians directly to the Afghan people on Tuesday, with a video in which he pledged to work to regain their trust as NATO continues a mass offensive against the Taliban in the south.