Major Events and Top News Headlines of 23 November 2014:
- Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick against Sevilla on Saturday overtaking Telmo Zarra to become the all-time top goal scorer at the Liga, Messi has 253 goals to Zarra’s 252.
- Prem Watsa, the Hyderabad-born chairman and CEO of Fairfax financial Holdings has announced $1 billion in Investments in India in sectors including grain storage.
- China has announced that it has completed a major hydropower dam on the Brahmaputra, called Yarlung Zangbo, in Tibet.
- Nearly 300 Delhi lower court judges are under the scanner of the high court for purchase of computers and laptops from funds provided by the Delhi government and HC in 2013.
- The number of pre-placement offers–espe cially big ticket ones, flowing into Indian Institute of Tech nology , Delhi, is “unusually high“ this year.
- Father Kuriakose Elias Chavara and Sister Eufrasia from India were among six conferred Sainthood by Pope Francis on Sunday at a special canonization mass in Vatican City
- A 17-year-old Brazilian boy Marcel Fernandes Filho had broken his own Guinness World record for the fastest texting on a smartphone touch screen, typing a 25-word message in just 17 seconds.
- Researchers at the University of California, including two of Indian-origin, have developed new synthetic platelets that mimic and outperform natural platelets at controlling.bleeding.
- The huge social network facebook has become a key source of news for many users, as part of a dramatic shift in how people get information in the digital age.
- China on Sunday launched an allout rescue operation after a powerful 6.3-magnitude earthquake struck quake-prone Sichuan Province, killing at least five people and affecting nearly 80,000 others.
- Former Washington mayor Marion Barry, who left office in disgrace and went to prison on drug charges only to return for a fourth term, died at a Washington hospital, a spokeswoman said. He was 78.
- Infrastructure powerhouse Adani Group along with the towel-to-pipe conglomerate Welspun to invest $1.5bn in US shale, Canadian oil sands assets.
- Global sporting goods giant Adidas is set to name Adidas India brand director Tushar Goculdas as its new brand director for emerging markets.
- Kerala’s Preeja Sreedharan as she successfully defended her title in the Indian Elite women’s category of the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon here on Sunday.
- Roger Federer won the Davis Cup final against France by taking an unassailable 3-1 lead on Sunday.
- James Faulkner hit the winning boundary with five balls to spare to give
Australia a thrilling two-wicket victory over South Africa on Sunday and push them to the top of the ICC one-day rankings.