Major Events and Top News Headlines of 23 September 2010:
- Amidst the challenges in agriculture, India’s Bt cotton success story stands out even in the controversy over Bt and GM crops.
- The Supreme Court’s order deferring Friday’s verdict on Ayodhya title suit by Allahabad High Court to September 28 has evoked mixed reaction from the litigants of the 60—year—old dispute.
- Fifteen special squads spread out all over Mumbai on Wednesday, combing important areas to ensure safe Ganpati processions.
- A Catholic bishop from north—eastern Mexico was on Thursday named winner of the 2010 Rafto Prize by a Norwegian human rights foundation for his efforts to protect human rights and achieve social justice.
- The recent spell of rainfall in south Bengal has brought relief to farmers in West Bengal’s 11 drought-hit districts and is also improving crop prospects in the kharif season.