Major Events and Top News Headlines of 24 August 2010:
- A magnitude-6.4 earthquake struck off western Mexican coastal state of Jalisco Monday night, said the National Seismology Service (SSN).
- Infosys founder N.R. Narayana Murthy said here on Tuesday that India should perceive China’s rapid development in the information technology sector as an “opportunity” for Indian IT companies functioning in that country, rather than as a ‘threat.’
- The government is actively considering the changes in language suggested by the Bharatiya Janata Party in the controversial Clause 17 (b) of the Civil Nuclear Liability Bill 2010, official sources said.
- China warned travellers over travel to the Philippines and demanded answers on Tuesday over how eight Hong Kong tourists were killed in a hostage stand—off in Manila following a day of botched negotiations.
- The chief of police in the Philippine capital on Tuesday admitted shortcomings in the handling of a hostage-taking incident that left eight Hong Kong tourists dead.