Major Events and Top News Headlines of 24 June 2009:
- The Bombay Stock Exchange benchmark Sensex closed nearly 99 points higher on Wednesday on fresh buying in engineering and technology stocks amid brokers covering pending positions ahead of the monthly derivatives segment expiry.
- The Bombay High Court on Wednesday asked the Maharashtra colleges to hold their admission process until it announces its verdict in the reservation row. The court is likely to give its verdict on June 29.
- It”s a clear case of real life entering the reel- life domain. How else can you explain Shiney Ahuja”s alleged rape case inspiring B- grade directors? Two films ” Rape and a yetuntitled film ” have taken cues from the incident.
- At least 25 people were feared dead after a passenger bus plunged into a gorge in Jammu on Wednesday. More than 50 people were injured in the accident of which nine were reported to be critical.
- In the backdrop of increasing attacks on Indian students in Australia, a new survey has said that 85 per cent Australians feel that racial discrimination is rampant in the country with one in five of them being a victim of verbal abuse.