Major Events and Top News Headlines of 24 September 2009:
- Rubbishing doubts on the efficacy of the hydrogen bomb test in 1998, Atomic Energy Commission Chairman Anil Kakodkar on Thursday said scientists have achieved success in building deterrence capability of up to 200 kilotons.
- India will push for radical reforms of the international financial institutions and continuance of the stimulus package to speed up the recovery of the crisis-ridden global economy at the G-20 Summit here on Friday.
- Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology A. Raja said here that the third generation wireless spectrum (3G spectrum) service would be launched in the four southern States in November.
- Global leaders on Thursday warned their colleagues that coordinated international action to end the worldwide recession and reverse the threat posed by global warming must not fall victim to routine political divisions and pitfalls.
- In a major shift in its policy towards Myanmar, the U.S. today said it would simultaneously adopt the policy of both sanctions and engagements with the junta there as part of international efforts to promote democracy in the military-run state.