Major Events and Top News Headlines of 25 June 2009:
- The three most powerful elements of Pakistani politics, President Asif Ali Zardari, opposition leader Nawaz Sharif and the Army are “coming together” to fight the “common enemy” of terrorism, the top United States envoy to the Pak-Afghan region has said.
- Goa Tourism Minister Mickky Pacheco was on Wednesday booked in a case of criminal intimidation for allegedly threatening a casino manager.
- Inflation rose marginally to minus 1.14 per cent for the week ended June 13 against (-)1.61 per cent in the previous week even as prices of food items like pulses, cereals, and fruit and vegetables increased compared to last year.
- Fourth seeds Mahesh Bhupathi and Mark Knowles survived a scare from spirited qualifiers Somdev Devvarman and Kevin Anderson in a gruelling four-setter to enter the second round of the Wimbledon men’s doubles event here today.
- Hollywood diva Julia Roberts is the new star among Hindu groups. Months after being applauded for sporting a bindi, Julia has received a request from the Universal Society of Hinduism (USH) to further explore Hinduism as the buzz grows about her visiting India this year end.