Major Events and Top News Headlines of 26 August 2009:
- Teachers of Savitribai Phule School— a Chembur-based government aided school—have threatened self-immolation in front of the Mantralaya on Wednesday.
- The Supreme Court has dismissed the income tax department’s plea that Escorts Asset Management Ltd had furnished inaccurate particulars of its income for 2002-03 and thus evaded tax.
- Interpol issuing Red Corner Notice against Jamaat-ud Dawa (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, India on Wednesday said the development vindicates its stand on his involvement in Mumbai terror attacks and that Pakistan should act on the basis of evidence collected “painstakingly”.
- A defiant Leader of Opposition Vasundhara Raje on Wednesday chaired a meeting of Rajasthan BJP MLAs who mounted pressure on the central leadership threatening to boycott the assembly session from tomorrow if suspension of three of their colleagues was not revoked.
- US Senator Edward Kennedy, a towering figure in the Democratic Party who took the helm of one of America’s most fabled political families after two older brothers were assassinated, died at age 77, his family said.