Major Events and Top News Headlines of 26 August 2010:
- With little or no progress in the Doha Round of World Trade Organisation (WTO) multilateral trade talks for the last more than one year, India is proactively working on concluding Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) with Japan, European Union and Malaysia to expand its trade basket.
- China has assured India that its nuclear cooperation with Pakistan is for peaceful purposes, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna today said in the Rajya Sabha.
- The working group on wages, constituted under the auspices of the Central Employment Guarantee Council (CEGC) that governs the functioning of the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGA), in a report, has expressed concern over what it described as a crisis of the wage policy.
- Agreeing that terrorism continued to be the threat undermining peace and stability in the region, India and Afghanistan on Wednesday reiterated their stand to work jointly to combat and defeat it.
- A glamorous Russian ballet dancer who doubled up as a Nazi spy was responsible for one of the worst defeats for the Allied forces in the Second World War, causing a political upheaval in Britain, according to classified intelligence files released by M15 on Thursday.