Major Events and Top News Headlines of 26 February 2010:
- The government on Friday hiked excise duties by 2 per cent to 10 per cent on all non-oil products as part of withdrawal of stimulus measures with Finance Minster Pranab Mukherjee saying the economy was on the recovery path.
- A U.K. court has ordered disclosure of information critical of the MI5 spy agency in the case of alleged torture against a Guantanamo Bay detainee.
- Iraq says 20,000 Saddam Hussein—era army officers will rejoin the military after being dismissed from their posts after the 2003 U.S.—led invasion for serving under the former dictator.
- Government on Friday said the Foreign Secretary-level talks with Pakistan represented an “encouraging step” towards restoring dialogue and better communication but made it clear that the engagement would depend on response to India’s core concern on terrorism.
- Petrol, diesel prices to go up by Rs 2.67/l and Rs 2.58/l respectively in Delhi from midnight tonight.