Major Events and Top News Headlines of 26 July 2009:
- The Indian Navy joins the global elite club on Sunday as Prime Minister Manmohan Singh formally launches the indigenously-built nuclear-powered submarine INS Arihant at the naval dockyard of the Eastern Naval
Command in Visakhapatnam.
- As it confronts the ghost of a steadily increasing number of Influenza A H1N1 (‘ swine flu’) cases, the government appears to have accepted that it will be difficult to take preventive action to protect people from the virus.
- Opposition Peoples’ Democratic Party in Jammu and Kashmir today accused the National Conference-Congress coalition government of not being ready to discuss important issues in the state assembly.
- For Bengalis living abroad, this could be very good news. And news which should make the local film industry in Bengal happy too. For, a huge US-based information technology company, Databazaar, has decided to
produce Bengali films and show them abroad, a first for the industry.
- India’s first indigenously built nuclear-powered submarine launched on Sunday will take much longer than the projected two years to become operational, according to naval experts, who say the real big test now is to ensure
that the on-board reactor attains criticality.