Major Events and Top News Headlines of 27 July 2010:
- Sohrabuddin encounter z Now an approver in the case, the former DySP had claimed explosive information and threat to life.
- Factional feud in Pune unit of Maharashtra’s ruling Congress today took an ugly turn when a former MLA was assaulted by party workers belonging to rival group in a free-for-all during election to district Congress presidentship.
- Commonwealth Games Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi today hit back at former Sports Minister Mani Shankar Aiyar for his scathing criticism of the upcoming event, saying the senior Congress leader’s comments are “irresponsible” and “anti-national”.
- The US has welcomed actions by the European Union and Canada to adopt new sanctions against Iran in line with the UN Security Council resolution, saying this gives a clear message to its leaders that they either meet responsibilities or face isolation.
- The United States gave heads up to India, besides Afghanistan and Pakistan, on the leak of more than 90,000 classified documents pertaining to the war against terrorism.