Major Events and Top News Headlines of 27 September 2009:
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh arrived here on Sunday after attending the G-20 summit in Pittsburg in the USA, during which leaders of the world’s richest and most influential countries resolved to continue the stimulus for the recession-hit global economy.
- Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Saturday announced a compensation package of Rs. 1 lakh for the families of 17 workers, hailing from the State,.
- The world powers led by the US will insist in a meeting on Thursday with an Iranian delegation that Tehran immediately open its newly revealed nuclear plant to international inspectors, the Washington Post reported online.
- Rescuers plucked bodies from muddy floodwaters and saved drenched survivors from rooftops on Sunday after a tropical storm tore through the northern Philippines and left at least 106 people dead and missing.
- For the last one month, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) has been saying it is confident of victory in this Muslim-dominated town in the coming Assembly polls.