Major Events and Top News Headlines of 28 August 2009:
- Reserve Bank Governor D Subbarao said the ongoing global crisis has resulted in a massive breakdown of trust in the financial system and that the study of economics could lose its value base.
- Most people who died due to swine flu in the country reported to hospitals with very severe cough and breathlessness. This was revealed in a study of the first 33 out of the total 78 deaths in the country. Meanwhile, swine flu has claimed three more lives, taking the countrywide toll to 88.
- Britney Spears has reportedly decided to take a little time off from her alleged relationship with Jason Trawick.
- In its first season, the Indian Premier League (IPL) contributed less than Rs 15 crore to the coffers of the Board of Control for Cricket in India.
- The family of one of the youngest prisoners ever held at Guantanamo plans to sue the US government to compensate him for mistreatment and an adolescence lost to nearly seven years in a cell, his lawyers said on Thursday.