Major Events and Top News Headlines of 28 August 2010:
- The BJP on Saturday stepped up its attack against Home Minister P. Chidambaram for his “saffron terrorism” remark demanding that he be sacked.
- The Government of India is evaluating a statement by the Chinese Ministry of Defence denying that military exchanges with India were suspended. “We will see what that means. For now, defence exchanges have been put on hold from our side.
- In a bid to remove the flaws in the Prevention of Torture Bill, 2010, 10 Opposition members of the Rajya Sabha on Friday gave notice for an amendment motion on the Bill to refer it to a Select Committee of the House.
- The intersection of the domestic environment for national development and the state of health of our neighbourhood relationships has never been as sharply defined as it is today, Foreign Secretary Nirupama Rao said here on Friday.
- Taliban militants attacked two bases of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in eastern Afghanistan in predawn raids on Saturday.